Do you have a list of things you want to sew, make, try, learn, do this year? We do! And here is a list of ideas for you:
1. Improve your handwriting game. We have classes for calligraphy, brush lettering and watercolour brush lettering so whether you want to handwrite your wedding invites or create beautiful hand lettered quotes for your wall or instagram, we have the class for you! Perfect for beginners, relaxed, creative and fun, we have daytime and evening classes to suit every schedule!
2. Overcome your fear of sewing jersey. If you’re like most of us, you wear tops, t-shirts and dresses made of jersey fabric more often than anything else! We have two dressmaking classes with Charlotte that will have you sewing knits like a boss and wearing something new in just one day! Make a cute dress in our super popular Moneta Dress class or sew up your new favourite top in our brand new Agnes Top class which is coming up this Sunday!
3. Get a little messy. Don an apron and try two of our newest classes, Shibori and linocut printing! Our Shibori teacher, Rob Jones, studied his craft in Japan and will teach you these beautiful, centuries-old techniques with a modern spin. Our linocut teacher, Kate Guy of Cardabelle Designs was one of your favourite makers in our Makers Market, and she’ll teach you how to cut, carve, stamp and create your own art print!
4. Learn to make a patchwork quilt. Oh, how we love quilts! Such a canvas for creativity and expression, not to mention the loveliest thing to snuggle under. If this is the year you want to learn how to make a quilt, we are here for you! Our two-day quilt class will take you through every step of the process, from cutting to binding, while you create your first baby or lap size quilt. Or, learn many of the techniques for making a patchwork quilt in our one-day quilted cushion class. Or, if you already know the basics check out one of our wonderful patchwork technique classes!
5. Decorate your home, handmade style. We love a handmade home! And we have some classes for you to create beautiful things to adorn your space. Try the peaceful art of hand weaving while you make a wall hanging, learn to sew a lovely rope bowl or try rag rugging. Each of these classes will have you walking out with new skills and a finished project!
6. Sew your own jeans. Yes, you can. And you’ll be so glad you did! Sewing your own jeans sounds intimidating to so many home dressmakers, but in our three-day intensive class Charlotte will hold your hand every step of the way! You’ll finish with a great fitting pair of jeans and so much confidence.
7. Slow down with a new handcraft. Handwork can be so relaxing and cosy this time of year! It’s lovely to cuddle under a blanket with a project on your lap. So whether you’re interested in knitting, crochet, cross stitch or embroidery, we can get your started on a new hobby to get you through the winter months!
8. Bind a book. We are thrilled to have Joe Dixon in our studio in February to teach us how to bind a book! You will learn everything you will need to get going on this fascinating pastime and create a beautiful book to keep or use as a gift.
9. Learn how to freestyle on your sewing machine. Learn how to use your sewing machine to create art! We have super popular classes for freehand machine embroidery and free motion quilting, two ways to use your home sewing machine to make any design you can imagine in your sewing or quilting project.
10. Sew zips like a boss. This is the year you put a zip in your cushion! One evening in our zip pouch class and you will be fearless. Plus, you’ll have a cute zip pouch to show for it.
To find all of these classes and so many more, visit our website!